Live Webinar: Intellectual Disability and Sepsis: Understanding Disparities and Care Needs
In this webinar, experts in healthcare delivery, disability, and sepsis will discuss the critical need to address health disparities for people with intellectual disabilities and sepsis. Free nursing CEUs are available for attendees.
Healthcare providers including nurses, sepsis coordinators, physicians, APPs, pre-hospital personnel, and pharmacists as well as survivors and/or caregivers.
At the end of the presentation, the attendee should be able to:
- Understand what is currently known about health disparities for people with intellectual disability;
- Describe the reasons why sepsis may be more impactful in this population;
- Understand the compounding impact of disability and social determinants of health;
- Understand what is currently known about sepsis care and outcomes for people with intellectual disabilities.
Sepsis Alliance gratefully acknowledges the support provided for this webinar by the Sepsis Alliance Clinical Community sponsors and the WITH Foundation.
Wendy Ross, MD, FAAP
Director of Jefferson Center for Autism and Neurodiversity, Jefferson Health
Wendy J. Ross, MD, FAAP is a developmental and behavioral pediatrician and the inaugural director of the Jefferson Center for Autism and Neurodiversity where she creates community opportunities. She was a top ten CNN hero in 2014 for her work on community participation. Dr. Ross attended the humanities and medicine program at Mt Sinai, pediatrics residency at Yale, and fellowship in developmental pediatrics at Harvard.
Cindy Hou, DO, MA, MBA, FACOI, FACP, FIDSA
Infection Control Officer, Jefferson Health-New Jersey
Cindy Hou, DO, is the Infection Control Officer and infectious diseases specialist at Jefferson Health New Jersey. Her hospital system was nationally recognized by Sepsis Alliance as a Sepsis Hero in 2016. She is the physician lead for the hospital’s Antimicrobial Stewardship Committee, Sepsis on the Floors Task Force, Infection Control Committee, and more. Dr. Hou has been a passionate advocate for early detection, prevention, education, and management of sepsis in the community hospital setting. She has helped to champion the development of nurse-initiated policies, old school education, and the impact of multi-disciplinary teams on survival of patients with sepsis. She has also studied the impact of mandatory infectious disease consults on C. Diff infections and severe sepsis. She also serves as the physician champion for the NJHA’s Antimicrobial Stewardship Collaborative. In 2018, she was a recipient of Heroes of Infection Prevention Award in Patient Safety from APIC. She is also on the Sepsis Alliance Advisory Board of Directors.
Jonathan L. Gleason, MD
Chief Clinical Officer, Executive Vice President, Prisma Health
Dr. Jonathan L. Gleason is a renowned thought leader and healthcare executive. He has served in executive roles at several of America’s most notable clinically integrated health systems – Carilion Clinic, Jefferson Health, and Prisma Health. Dr. Gleason currently serves as executive vice president, Chief Clinical Officer for Prisma Health with broad responsibilities for the clinical and academic mission of the $5bn, 18-hospital clinical integrated health system. His work to build clinical operating systems that are elite partners to people has achieved remarkable results inside of traditional health systems as well as in the business community. Dr. Gleason’s work has been recognized by multiple national awards for innovation in care delivery and safety, and his insights on these topic are in high demand in publications such as the New England Journal, the World Economic Forum and the Wall Street Journal. Dr. Gleason is also a researcher and advocate for people with disabilities and his landmark publication in the New England Journal of Medicine Catalyst about the impact of COVID-19 on individuals with intellectual disabilities resulted in global changes to vaccine prioritization. Dr. Gleason serves on advisory committees for Special Olympics International, and he serves on the board of Special Olympics Pennsylvania.
Provider approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing, Provider Number CEP17068 for 1.2 contact hours.
Other healthcare providers will receive a certificate of attendance for 1.0 contact hours.
The information on or available through this site is intended for educational purposes only. Sepsis Alliance does not represent or guarantee that information on or available through this site is applicable to any specific patient’s care or treatment. The educational content on or available through this site does not constitute medical advice from a physician and is not to be used as a substitute for treatment or advice from a practicing physician or other healthcare provider. Sepsis Alliance recommends users consult their physician or healthcare provider regarding any questions about whether the information on or available through this site might apply to their individual treatment or care.
- 1.00 Participation
- 1.20 RN CE Contact HoursProvider approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing, Provider Number CEP17068.
To register for this webinar, please follow these steps:
- If you have a Sepsis Alliance Institute account, select Login. If you do not yet have an account, select Register to create your FREE account.
- Select Take Course. Answer the additional registration questions, then select Take Course.
- You will receive a confirmation email from the Sepsis Alliance Institute after registration as well as a Zoom confirmation email. These emails will include a calendar invitation to add to your email calendar.
- Click Start under the Webinar (Via Zoom) tab in the course outline to complete your registration.
- Slides will be made available 1-2 days before the webinar.
- When it is time to join the webinar, select Webinar. Select Join the webinar. The Zoom Webinar window will pop up and you will see the webinar as you normally would.
- After the webinar, come back to this activity to complete the Evaluation. You'll be able to download your certificate immediately after the webinar.
We hope that this update makes the webinar viewing and credit claiming processes easier for you! Please don't hesitate to reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.